Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"Back Boys are Delicious"

Oddly enough I have never been to a chiropractor. No real reason, just never had the need. I've been to an acupuncturist - he helped me though a really bad stint with my asthma. I've experienced ear candling - performed by my very wonderful, very new age aunt - resulting in disgusting yellow discharge. I even had a roommate attempt to solve my (partial) deafness by shoving his finger down my throat and tugging on my Eustachian tube. BTW - that didn't work. I remain completely deaf in my left ear. Don't let anyone do that to you - I was spitting up blood for a week.

So, I'm not averse to trying things out. But, for some reason, I have never been to a chiropractor. Until last Tuesday. And it was heaven. Heaven, I tell you, heaven on earth!

For the past two weeks I had been dealing with some kind of back injury/strain. I went to urgent care and got drugs/advice to keep still for awhile. I stayed home from work for four days. Went in to work (in pain) for several more days. And finally went to the chiropractor yesterday. Here is the first part of our conversation:

Chiropractor: So, on a scale of 1-10, what is your level of pain?

Me: Seven. And I have given birth, so I know what a 10 is.

C: OK. So, during your pregnancy did you have any kind of back trauma?

M: Not that I'm aware of, but it sucked . . . evidenced by the fact that I didn't do it a second time.

C: So, you're in a lot of pain.

And we were off - solving my back pain issue. The solution included:
  • Electro-I-dunno-what-thingy that felt like tons of bees on my back
  • Cracking and moving of random body parts
  • Jumping from room to room
  • Standing on random contraptions and then
------- bliss. From 7 to 4 in less than an hour.

So, we come to today. When I have to admit, I'm at about a 2. Next appointment is tomorrow. I'm looking forward to being a 0.

So, for anyone that hasn't tied it. Try it - if you need it. No more vicotin, no more percocet. Just perfect comfort.

And if you need a recommendation for a chiropractor in Portland, I'm your girl.

No comments: